BY JULIE-ANNE PETRILLI
Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
Pesto 1/2 cup
12 dry-packed sun-dried tomato halves
1/4 cup pesto from above
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
8 large radicchio leaves
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cut into 8 slices
8 (4 to 6 oz) thin prosciutto slices
Olive oil for brushing
8 pieces cotton kitchen string, each 8 inches long
1. Place tomatoes in a bowl, cover with hot water and let plump for 20 minutes. Drain and finely chop tomatoes. Place in a bowl and add 1/4 cup pesto, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper. Blend with whisk or in food processor. Set aside.
2. Prepare a hot fire in a grill.
3. Place a large pan of water over high heat and bring to boil. Blanch radicchio by dipping leaves into boiling water for 5 seconds. Remove with tongs and plunge into bowl of ice water. When cool, remove leaves and place on paper towels to drain. They should be limp and pliable.
4. Wrap each mozzarella slice in a slice of prosciutto. Wrap bundles with radicchio, enclosing completely. Secure each bundle with string and brush with oil. Grill bundles for about 3 minutes each side, or until nicely browned, turning with tongs or a spatula, so as not to pierce them.
5. Transfer to a heated platter and Serve warm.
Yields 8 servings
Courtesy of The Cheese Lover’s Cookbook and Guide by Paula Lambert (Simon and Schuster)