BY STEVEN GENTILE
“First and foremost, I need to give credit to my mom for winning this Throwdown. I grew up on her cheesecake and have eaten it more times than I care to remember, enjoying it every single time. Whenever there’s a family celebration (and coming from an Italian family there are many) someone always asks my mom to bake this cake. She reluctantly agreed to give away her coveted recipe. I promised that I would leave out one key ingredient to keep people guessing. Decadent, cheesy, not overly sweet, this cheesecake is sure to make a few of you feel just right and add a little love to those handles.” – Steve
– crushed graham crackers
– 1/2 pound melted butter
– 6 whole eggs
– 1 1/2 cups of sugar
– 6 tbs flour
– 3 packages cream cheese (the bricks)
– 2 tubs soft Italian cheese that cannot be named (rhymes with gotta)
– 1 tub sour cream
1) Mix crushed graham crackers with melted butter to form base of cake and press down in spring form pan (very important to use a spring form pan).
2) Mix wet ingredients together adding cream cheese little by little for the filling and pour into pan.
3) Bake in 350°F oven for 1 hour.
4) Turn off heat and let rest IN OVEN for 1 hour.
5) Set aside to cool off and refrigerate overnight.
6) Be creative with the topping. I usually go for a classic strawberry glaze with fresh cut strawberries but anything goes (ex: pineapple, blueberries, raspberries).