2 larges bunch fresh dill, roughly chopped
2 cups/500 ml coarse salt
2 cups/550 ml brown sugar
Two 2-pound/1 kg extremely fresh salmon fillet (sushi grade), skin on
1 teaspoon/5 ml crushed Szechuan peppercorns
1/4 cup/60 ml vodka
1/4 cup/60 ml Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons/30 ml brown sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup/125 ml olive oil
1 bunch fresh dill, chopped
Freshly grated horseradish
Crackers, for serving
For the gravlax:
- Crush the dill with the coarse salt and add the brown sugar.
- Sprinkle the salmon fillets with the Szechuan peppercorns. Cover with the dill mixture and splash with vodka. Sandwich the fillets together, tail-to-tail, and cover with plastic wrap. Put it in a deep plate and cover the salmon with another plate and something that weighs about a pound. Refrigerate for 24 hours. During the 24 hours refrigeration, drain the juice that will appear in the plate. Turn the Sandwich up side down two or three times during that period.
- After that time, the flesh will have lost its translucence. Rinse under cold water and pat dry.
For the mustard sauce:
- Combine the mustard, brown sugar and lemon juice. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and stir in the chopped dill and grated horseradish to taste.
- Slice the gravlax thinly on the bias and without the skin. Serve with crackers and the mustard sauce.
Serves: 12 (does not include crackers); Calories: 207; Total Fat: 13.5 grams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Protein: 16 grams; Total carbohydrates: 4 grams; Sugar: 2 grams; Fiber: 0 grams; Cholesterol: 34 milligrams; Sodium: 655 milligrams