2 packages (14 ounces each) firm or extra-firm tofu
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 medium red bell peppers, seeds and ribs removed, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon sambal oelek
1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)
1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Slice each tofu block into 6 rectangles.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each oil and soy sauce. Dip tofu pieces on all sides to coat. Brush two rimmed baking sheets with remaining tablespoon oil; divide tofu between them. Scatter peppers around the edges.
- Bake 10 minutes; turn tofu and peppers. Continue baking until tofu is golden brown and peppers begin to char, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, whisk together peanut butter, lime juice, sambal, brown sugar, fish sauce, 3 tablespoons water, and remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, until warm.
- Drizzle sauce over tofu and peppers. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.