One 3 1/2- to 4-pound salmon fillet with skin (must be very fresh!!)
1 1/2 cup coarse salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp. freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup of vodka
- Crush the dill with coarse salt and add the brown sugar.
- Season the salmon fillets with the ground pepper. Cover with the dill mixture and splash with Vodka. Cover the salmon in plastic wrap and weigh down with something heavy (about 1 pound – a brick covered in tin foil works well). Refrigerate for 24-36 hours.
- Rinse under cold water and pat dry. Remove skin with a sharp knife and cut on the bias into very thin pieces.
Mustard Sauce Ingredients
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup olive oil
A bunch of dill, chopped
Horseradish, to taste (optional)
- Mix the mustard, brown sugar and lemon juice. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and stir in the dill and horseradish.
Sarazin Blinis Ingredients
1 cup of sarazin flour
1 1/2 cup of water
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of baking powder
- Pour the ingredients in a bowl and mix until well blended. Add a bit of water if needed to make the mixture pourable.
- Heat a frying pan and add a little butter. Pour small circles of the mixture in the pan and cook approximately 30 seconds on each side.
- Add a little layer of the sauce and roll a piece of the salmon to resemble a rose. Top off with a sprig of dill. Serve with lemon wedges.